Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Welcome to the world, Baby Jack!

I don't think either one of us did much sleeping that night. We were SO excited. Our baby was finally going to be here.


We got up that morning and got ready then we finished packing. My mom came over and we had so much luggage that we literally filled up two cars. You would have thought we were moving into the hospital and the funny thing was that we were only planning to be there three nights (although we ended up being there longer and eventually ran out of stuff and had to send our family to get more stuff for us.) We left home at around 9:30 because Josh and I had to go through the bank drive-thru.


We got to the hospital right at 11:00am. We went to the third floor and checked in. A sweet nurse named Erica took us to our room and gave me my gown. I got dressed and got into the bed. She asked me a bunch of questions and then started my IV (My very first one ever/ I was SO nervous/ It didn't hurt that bad.) After then it was just a waiting game. I was scheduled for surgery at 1:00pm and Erica said she would be back to get me at around a quarter til.


Our families started to arrive little by little until our little hospital room was filled to the max. I watched the clock like a hawk commenting every few minutes. ("20 minutes til they cut me open/10 minutes and they're coming to get me") Needless to say I was all nerves. Every time Erica came into the room I panicked. She would say, "Not yet. Try to relax."


Then it was time. 12:45pm. She came into the room.


"Are you ready?" She asked.


"Yes," is what I said. "Aahhh!" is what I felt.


Josh got suited up in his wicked cool surgery gear. I got a lovely hat and then they wrapped me up in a sheet, grabbed my IV fluids, and off we went. Our families lined the hallway to watch us walk down to the OR. I was shaking like a leaf. I had never been so terrified and excited before in my life.




When we got down there, they told me that Josh had to stay outside of the OR while they prepped me for surgery. I seriously hoped they were kidding. They weren't.


I went into that icy cold and ridiculously bright room by myself. Time to put on my brave face. One last look over my shoulder to my sweet husband. I was on my own, at least for a little while.


When we got in there, I met the anesthesiologist and he explained what was going to happen. First they would have me sit on the table and lean forward while they gave me an epidural. Then I would quickly lie down on the table and get situated before I started to lose feeling in the lower half of my body. Then they would begin the process of prepping me which included a lot of things I would rather not share. :)


I loved that Erica was in there with me and she held my hands while I got my epidural. I had been really nervous about that part and she could tell. She told me to try to relax because they needed for me to stop shaking. She asked me questions about the baby. I calmed down. Then a small prick in my back. A LOT of intense burning for a couple of seconds. Then the second prick. A LOT of pressure. Then done. I survived. They said I took it like a champ. I was sad that Josh and my family didn't get to see me being all brave. Mental note, make sure Erica tells Josh how tough I was. ;)


While the doctors prepped me, the anesthesiologist hung all of the draping that would keep me from being able to see what they were doing to me. The anesthesiologist had explained to me that my blood pressure would probably drop and it might make me nauseated or light headed. I had to tell them immediately if that happened. It definitely did. I suddenly got intensely nauseated and dizzy. He pushed something into my IV and I was instantly better. I told him that was a miracle drug and I wanted to take some home. Then my doctor, Dr. Ingram, said that she was ready. "Bring in dad," she said. Then Josh was finally by my side. He sat on a stool on the left side of me up by my head. My arms were under the draping laying out to each side. I wasn't supposed to move them. But Josh reached under to hold my hand.


They did a lot of poking to make sure I couldn't feel anything and then the anesthesiologist explained how the pressure was going to feel like my doctor was standing on my stomach, then my chest. I wondered what that would feel like. Then they said it was time. "Are you ready?" They asked me.


I wasn't scared anymore. I had survived my first IV and my epidural. I had been in this cold creepy room with all of these strangers for long enough to feel like we were all old pals. I was more ready than I'd ever been. I was dying to see my baby's face. "So ready," I answered.


So then they began. The anesthesiologist explained everything they were doing step by step. Once they got in there, the baby was stuck. He didn't want to come out. Dr. Ingram explained that she was going to have to cut me wider to be able to reach him. He was much farther up than they had anticipated. Then she explained that they were going to have to use the vacuum to try to get him out. We heard it pop three times. That was the sound of the suction cup popping off of my stubborn boy's little head as he remained comfortably situated just high enough to be unreachable. Then the doctor said it was time for that pressure they had talked about, and it might be worse than they had originally let on.


Sure enough, the doctor definitely placed a rather large elephant on my chest. I couldn't see it, but I'm definitely sure that it was there. I couldn't breathe. Josh squeezed my hand and told me that it would be over soon. "You can do this. It's ok. You're doing great. I'm so proud of you." Seemed like that moment lasted forever. It was intense to say the least. Suddenly a spray of blood hit the drape that was hanging in front of my face. It sprayed onto the anesthesiologist and the wall behind him. Not cool.


"More pressure," the doctor said.


"They're kidding, right?" I thought to myself but couldn't speak because suddenly the elephant decided to invite his buddy to hop on. I felt like my chest was caving in. That definitely has to be what it feels like to be squished between two walls like in horror movies when the walls start to close in and the people that are trapped get their guts squished out. Yuck. Not fun.


Then the doctor asked Josh if he wanted to watch. She was about to pull the baby out. It was finally time. Josh stood up. More pressure. Then he was out.


I watched Josh's face as I waited to hear the first cry of my newborn son. He was definitely amazed. Then, there it was. The most beautiful, amazing sound I've ever heard. I couldn't see him. But I could hear him. My tears began to fall rapidly, but considering that I wasn't allowed to move my arms, Josh did his best to wipe my face.


The nurse said that they had to do a few things and then they would bring him over. Dr. Ingram said that she was going to start closing me back up. The anesthesiologist said that he was a big healthy boy. He asked if we wanted to guess a weight. I said 9 pounds 2 ounces. Josh said 9.4. The anesthesiologist guessed 9.14. We were all wrong.


"Eight pounds, eight ounces," the nurse said.


"I was way off," the anesthesiologist said.


Then it was finally time. The moment I had waited for. The nurse brought him over. He was bundled up in a St. Vincent's blanket. She held him out for me to see.




*LOTS of tears* "He's perfect," was all I could say.


The first thing I noticed were his sweet little lips. His little mouth was all puckered out. And he had hair! We totally thought he would be bald. A sweet little round head of blonde hair. He was screaming bloody murder.




Then she took him back. They still had lots to do. He screamed the whole time. The doctors commented on his strong lungs.


Josh and I cried together and talked about how amazingly perfect he was. He was so much better than I could have possibly imagined. It was the most amazing and beautiful moment of my life. I wish it could have lasted forever.


Then finally the nurse brought him back and handed him to his proud daddy. Josh took him into his arms and we both stared at him in amazement. He was the most beautiful thing we had ever seen. The anesthesiologist took our camera and took some pictures. Then finally, after what felt like a century, Dr. Ingram said she was done. They took down all of the draping and moved me onto a hospital bed. They got me situated and then Erica took the baby from Josh and placed him in my arms.




It was one of those moments that defines your life. The moment you accepted the Lord as your savior. The moment you said, "I do" and became a Mrs. And now this. The moment you make eye contact with the small person who had instantly become the love of your life. The moment you became a mother. The moment you realized that you didn't even know what love was until now.

3 comments:

  1. this is the sweetest thing i have ever read! u made me cry. sad and happy tears. <3 Autumn Stanley
    p.s i'm pray'n for u Baby Jack and Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww This is Sooo PRECIOUS!!! Congrats Mrs. Crystal!!!! I hope that baby Jack is doing great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much. He's doing really well right now. We really appreciate your prayers and support! <3

    ReplyDelete