Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Oh yea, this is really happening.

May 11, 2011


I had been having some weird feeling stomach cramps. I just thought I was going to start my period soon. 

After a couple of weeks with no change, I got curious. I stopped at Dollar General on the way to work and picked up a generic pregnancy test. I didn't even give it much thought. I knew it would be negative and I didn't want to get my hopes up. I had taken so many pregnancy tests since we decided to start trying to get pregnant and I was always disappointed when they were negative.
I threw the test in my purse and went to work. 

That night when I got home from work at around 10:30, I told Josh how I had been feeling. I assured him that I was sure I wasn't pregnant. Then I told him I knew how we could know for sure. I told him about the test in my purse and he told me to take it right then. I could tell he got excited but I was just sure it would be negative. I had done this a thousand times before. 

I took the test and left it laying on the bathroom counter. I went back a few minutes later to look at the test and it was a very faded plus sign. I was more confused than anything. I mean, after all, it did come from Dollar General. I told Josh to come look. We just looked at each other for a while. He asked me if it had ever looked like that before. I said nope. 

We jumped up right then and ran to Walmart. Full of potential excitement. We were trying not to get our hopes up. We were really nervous. Josh drove like a maniac. We talked the entire way there... "What if?"

When we got there, it was around midnight and there was another couple standing in front of the section. We were looking at pregnancy tests and they were buying preventative products. We found that to be funny. We chose the tests that were in a plastic box that would have to be removed at the register. They were the most expensive but we wanted to be sure. 

When we got to the register there was only one aisle open and a couple of people behind us. As the checkout lady tried to open the plastic box, she got frustrated and then called over the loudspeaker for someone to help her with the pregnancy tests. We laughed as the older ladies behind us looked us up and down. We joked that it didn't help that we both look like we're about 17. Josh even joked that he should pretend to call his mom and tell her we were ready to be picked up from Walmart. 

We rushed home and I went straight to the bathroom. I had bought a bottle of water at Walmart and Josh forced me to drink some of it so that I would have to pee when I got home. I took both tests at one time and was really pretty sure that I didn't pee enough on either for them to work. 

I left the tests on the counter in the bathroom and sat on the edge of our bed with Josh. We closed our eyes, bowed our heads, held hands, and prayed for God's will. If it was time for us to have a baby, we wanted it to be positive. We wanted whatever He had in store for us. We both prayed so hard for His will. Nothing more. Nothing less. 

When a few minutes had passed and we were done praying, I asked Josh to let me look. He waited on the bed. I stood at the bathroom counter in total shock when I walked in and saw TWO words. PREGNANT. PREGNANT. 

I didn't say anything. I didn't move. I always knew it would happen someday but I had dreamed of that moment for years. How we would react. How we would celebrate. It was so surreal. 

I stepped out of the bathroom and just looked at Josh. I didn't say anything. He asked, "Well?" I didn't say anything. 

I shook my head. He was shocked too. Had to see it for himself. He came into the bathroom. We both just stared at the tests like we were expecting them to change. 

After a few moments, we started to laugh together. Then cry together. Josh took me in his arms. We hugged for the longest time. He held onto me so tight. He was crying. I was overwhelmed with emotion. We laughed and cried together in the bathroom. It was the most glorious moment. 

We instantly started to celebrate, talk, and plan together. We couldn't believe it was real. We couldn't wait to tell our families. 

The next day, we both went to work. We couldn't wait to tell someone. I told a girl from work who I didn't even know. Josh told a few people from work that day too. We were most excited to tell our parents and Tiffany and Jake. 

We left that evening as soon as Josh got home and went to Target. We got a set of onezies made for a boy. Sports themed. They were so tiny. We put them in plain colored gift bags and started with Tiffany on our way out of town. She opened her little bag and pulled out that baby outfit. She couldn't believe it. She cried and we hugged. She was so happy. Then we went to Jasper and stopped at my mom's house first. We gave the bag to her and Olivia helped her open it. She was so happy she couldn't stand it. She cried and laughed and screamed. We explained it to Olivia and she was really happy too. Billy didn't say much. He never does. As we left their house and closed the door behind us, we could hear mom and Olivia screaming from inside. It was an awesome moment. My mom was going to be a grandma for the first time ever. Next we stopped at Jack and Wendy's. It was almost Jack's birthday so we gave the gift to him. As he was opening it, he just knew what it was going to be. He whispered something to Wendy and they both laughed. When he pulled out that green baby onezie, they were so happy. They hugged and Wendy cried. Jackson was thrilled too. He was going to be an Uncle. We celebrated with them for a few minutes and then we moved onto my Aunt Tina's house. She opened her bag and was also in shock. She said "No way!" After we told them, they called Jaxon and Gracie downstairs and we told them too. They were excited too. Gracie said she couldn't wait to hold the baby but only after they clean all the gook off of it. I laughed and agreed. Next we went to my dad's house. He was nervous but excited. We stopped last at Mallory's house. We told her and her mom and laughed and celebrated with them. It was the most amazing day. We talked the whole way home. Everyone was so thrilled. It was amazing. It was really happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment