Pages

Monday, January 2, 2017

So Long 2016

So long 2016.

It wasn't a terrible year in the grand scheme of things. It was just THE year. The Fontan year. So, not a year I looked forward to and basically a year that I'm not sad to see go.

And along with 2016 goes the "in-between" years. Jack was born in 2012 and we were told he would need 2 major open-heart surgeries. His first was the Glenn in 2012 when he was just 4 months. After he healed from that surgery and our life settled down we learned how to feel "normal"again. But for 4 years we knew that it wasn't over. Another major surgery loomed like a dark cloud over our heads. It was always coming. And it was always terrifying.

BUT, now it's over.

On May 26, 2016 Jack had his Fontan surgery. Recovery was long and hard but now it's over and even though the surgeries were palliative and not curative, the surgical path that was laid before us the day after Jack was born is finally complete.

As far as what's next... We just don't know. But we go every six months for a check-up in the clinic and every time Dr. Law says Jack's heart looks good and we can go home, it's another six months we can breathe deep, go home and live. And hopefully, it will be many years before we have to find out what is next.

--------------------------------

Some other noteworthy events of 2016:

Jack turned 4 in January and H turned the big ONE in July. He learned to walk and has started saying lots of words and just has the best little personality. It has been so much fun watching him grow and change and watching Jack grow into his big brother role. They are the BEST of friends. If you find one the other will not be far behind.

Josh and I both started new jobs this year...which was crazy and unexpected but really, really good. I've blogged about my job change before so I won't go into the details of why and how but I am really  loving my new role as a history teacher and even though I miss my cheerleaders dearly, nothing compares to coming home to my boys as soon as that 3:00 bell rings everyday!

Josh got the call that his office was closing while Jack was in the hospital. It was a shock for us since he's been there for almost a decade but we had our hands and hearts full with Jack's surgery and so we truly gave it over to God completely and literally within days Josh had a job offer from a great company where he was given the opportunity to finally do something he truly enjoys. It was an amazing blessing from God and we are both so thankful for the outcome of the unexpected changes.

I finished my Master's Degree! Woohoo! While it only actually took a year and a half, being in grad school while working full time and being a full time mommy was no joke and I'm beyond glad its over.

We went to Disney World a few weeks ago! It was HOTTT but so much fun. We made precious memories and can't wait to go back! <3


-------------------------------------------

So, all things considered, we'll call it a good year. But, I'm thinking 2017 will be an even better one. So here's to 2017 and all of the ups and downs that this year will undoubtedly bring our way.

PS: Do you love my new blog template? I am LOVING our new makeover by Kelsey at KreatedbyKelsey! <3

1 comment: